Sure Sounds Smart

Do you ever find yourself quoting a phrase, without any earthly idea where it comes from?
I find the saying, "go gently into the night" to be often apt, and therefore weave it into conversation when it's appropriate. A co-worker totally surprised me today by completing the thought, asking me if I'd prefer to "rage against the darkness." Somewhere in my head, I knew those thoughts connected, but I was also stupified by my co-worker's obviously better mastery of poetry. Yikes, someone might be smarter than me, and he works in the same office!

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

- Dylan Thomas

While googling to complete the thought, I also ran across this, which might be good to know, for conversations or crosswords:

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.

- J. R. R. Tolkien "Lord of the Rings"

(I watched the movie and *totally* missed that. ;)

0 comments:

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates