Stuffed

The Thanksgiving Cornish hens and the twelve sides that accompanied them (I exaggerate) were good and tasty. Far more than two people who are eyeing their wedding day looming on the calendar and trying to consume accordingly could eat. So we have the true Thanksgiving tradition in effect: leftovers.

Now I'm wondering how to get the smell of yesterday's cooking out of the kitchen. (Onions, garlc.)
I am taking advantage of the luxury of four days off of work to address chores that have nagged at me: fixing the hem on a skirt, cleaning the oven. As well as the things I always wish I had more time to do: reading, listening to the radio.

Last night I even gave myself a facial! It was a gift, and one of those beauty products that if I did not make an effort to use, would probably sit on the medicine shelf until we move again. I'd screw off the top of the citrus scrub, sniff carefully, and wrinkle my nose at the smell of stale beauty product. Any beauty product that arrives in a package labeled "gift set" has a higher likelihood of this destiny. (But I still love getting gift sets! Something about the cute little bottles, and the yummy scents, when they're not expired.)
I almost changed my mind about the facial when I saw the instruction book was 32 pages long, but it turned out to be easy enough to skim. (I was incredulous that the 32 page guide was called out as an attractive inclusion of the kit on the outside box. Are you kidding?)
Of course midway through the clay mask, I hear Jason's office door pop open and his footsteps approach down the hall. I steeled myself for the teasing. "I'm giving myself a facial!" I called out in warning before he opened the bedroom door, so that he wouldn't be scared to see his fiance as a green-masked alien. "Can I take a picture?" he asked. "No."

3 comments:

Jean Therapy said...

holy bu-geesus!!!!

I've never heard of a 32 page manually for a home facial...HARDCORE!

Wow, the most I ever did was Queen Helene's mint julep mask. It looks menacing (it's really thick) but it's a lot of fun to goop on.

And your dinner looked amazing! I want to come over for dinner one evening. Did you make the biscuits from scratch? And what was for dessert?

Claire said...

Biscuits were from Pilsbury. (At one moment I reflected that it was sad that two of the store-bought items: biscuits and stuffing, were among the tastiest items on the table. But I know they've had a team of cooks and scientists tasting and tweaking to get it just right. I'm still learning.)
Dessert was pumpkin pecan cheesecake pie - also from the grocery store, but SO GOOD.
You're welcome to stop by for dinner whenever you're in Chicago!

Andra Sue said...

A holiday present for you! The BESTEST biscuit recipe EVAR:

Ingredients
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2/3 cup milk

Procedure
Preheat the oven to 425° F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans. Put the flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a bowl. Cut the shortening into the flour with two knives or a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the milk all at once and stir just until the dough forms a ball around the fork. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board and knead 14 times. Pat until 1/2 inch thick. Cut into rounds with a 2-inch cookie cutter. Place touching each other in the cake pans and bake for 15-20 minutes.

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates