But it's Better Inside

This week chilly week I'm reminded of my mom's refrain about wrenching yourself out of bed in the morning, assigned the theme song Irving Berlin's "Oh, How I Hate to Get Up in The Morning." The lyrics go through my head on days when I am really reluctant to get out from under the covers. (I've also tried singing them to Jason when I'm trying to get him up, but my singing seems to foster a greater desire from the listener to burrow their head deeper into the covers.)

When I looked up the lyrics, I found a wicked twist that kind of surprised me, that this was a song mom saw fit to sing to her children,

"“Oh! how I hate to get up in the morning,
Oh! how I’d love to remain in bed;
For the hardest blow of all, is to hear the bugler call;
You’ve got to get up, you’ve got to get up, you’ve got to get up this morning!
Some day I’m going to murder the bugler,
Some day they’re going to find him dead;
I’ll amputate his reveille, and step upon it heavily,
And spend the rest of my life in bed.”

But being my mother's wicked child, I like it.
On days like today, despite the weather being a seemingly tropical 20 degrees, I'd pen the second verse, "Oh how I hate to leave the house in the winter!"

This week's lowpoint was going to my car at the end of the workday, in the dark parking lot, minus 16 degree temperatures, and finding that the battery was dead. Thankfully the arms of my big, upper-midwest-headquartered, corporation folded around me protectively and after a call to security a guy with a battery jumper arrived. But with the heat still not working (or maybe just barely working) in the car, it was still a chilly drive home. Seeing your breath in your car is not a good thing.
I contemplated: if I gave Jason full choice over our next car purchase, would he be willing to take on total responsibility for prompt car repairs?

My third verse: "Oh how I hate to go to the car mechanic! Oh how I'd much rather that the car just ran! For the hardest blow of all, is to hear the mechanic call: you're gonna pay up, you're gonna pay up, you're gonna pay up for this tuning!"

(Sing a long here.)

0 comments:

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates