Drinking the Ads In

I guess when your prime television viewing is The Daily Show & The Colbert Report you pick up a lot of TV commercials that are probably intended for the male 18-35 demographic. Which explains why I'm blogging about alcohol ads again (also because telling you learning that I need a root canal is probably not that entertaining.)

I am distracted from this bad dental news by the the novella-like Dos Equis commercials featuring, "The Most Interesting Man in the World."
He's a suave, macho character, who the ads tell, "once had an awkward moment, just to see what it felt like" and "the police often question him just because they find him interesting." "People hang on his every word, even the prepositions. He could disarm you with his looks... or his hands. Either way. He can speak French... in Russian."
Slate describes it better, and since they've already found the right words, I won't try too hard but just quote them instead:
"This Dos Equis campaign features wonderful visual details. The production team clearly took glee in meshing vintage film stocks with unexpected locations and absurd endeavors. My favorite moment is the sight of our tuxedoed hero leading a moonlight expedition through a rocky canyon—flanked by elegant women in evening gowns, a military officer in full dress regalia, and a slightly befuddled fellow wearing a fez. We're left to guess at the precise combination of events that led to this scenario."

My favorite scenario appears in the clip below where The Most Interesting Man in the World appears to be gleefully rescuing a fox from the hunt.

Lots more here.

And maybe later I'll tell you what I like about the new Chivas ads.

3 comments:

jck said...

Wow, so this is what I've been missing not having cable.
Sorry to hear about the root canal. Start making your upbeat but relaxing ipod playlist now. Plugging in really helps me endure my medical visits (and prevents me from passing out):)

Leah said...

I like the ads too but I'm troubled by the clear age difference between the most interesting man in the world and the flock of 20 something women around him? What? They couldn't get Angelica Houston?

Claire said...

I agree, maybe Meryl Streep too? But then again, I don't think it's you and me they are trying to sell beer to. :)

And, per Juliet's comment: I'm taking suggestions for music for the dentist's chair. (Wonder if that's already a playlist in the iTunes store??)

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates