The History of Objects

I think about it whenever I go to the gym, the history of the random objects in our lives. My gym lock is from junior high. The same combination I was spinning when I was 13 years old and annoyed about hearing the girl next to me brag about the flowers for her bat mitzvah, which I wasn't invited to. 19-01... And here I am in a totally different city, totally different life, and Erica's bat mitzvah was probably inconsequential to my path. But that lock takes me momentarily to those faded memories.

One of the blogs I read featured this plastic dishware set for sale on Etsy the other day, and I remembered them from childhood. (How old are you when items from your childhood become "vintage"?) And the best part was that Juliet remembered them too, along with the peanut butter and Ritz cracker sandwiches that we had on vacation in the Adirondacks.

I don't need to own this plastic ware again, but I'm glad the internet brought this memory back to me.

0 comments:

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates