Don't You Forget About Me

How do you mourn someone who's responsible for about five years of the reply, "Claire is a fat girl's name" whenever I introduced myself?
John Hughes passed away this week. Just earlier this week Jason and I were talking about the Breakfast Club, in relation to its being set not too far from us in Chicago.

I remember standing in the Movies Unlimited video rental store when my mom asked me and Juliet if we'd ever seen The Breakfast Club. When the answer was no (with a tone that was dumbfounded by our mother making cool movie recommendations) she picked it up for us. The excitement of discovering a movie character with my then unusual name was quickly quashed by the lesson that it is apparently a fat girl's name.

BENDER: Claire?
CLAIRE: Claire. It's a family name.
BENDER: Oh, it's a fat girl's name.
CLAIRE: Oh, thank you.
BENDER: You're welcome.
CLAIRE: I'm not fat.
BENDER: Not at present, but I can see you really pushing maximum density. You see, I'm not sure if you know this, but there are two kinds of fat people: there's fat people that were born to be fat and there's fat people that were once thin but they became fat so when you look at them, you can sort of see that thin person inside.

Another Claire also weighs in on this problem.

(Fortunately Claire Danes came along and made Claire such a terrific, cool name with My So-Called Life. As we all knew it was anyway.)John Hughes made up for it with slumber party classics Pretty in Pink (his script, but directed by someone else) and Sixteen Candles, inspiring my adolescent adoration for Molly Ringwald in the same stroke.

I was surprised to see him gone, so relatively soon too. But it's also hard to know what to feel when he was like a once-close friend that I hadn't called in many years. "Don't You Forget About Me" from the Breakfast Club soundtrack seems an apt remembrance.

1 comments:

Andra Sue said...

OMG! Movies Unlimited...do you remember the little bag of popcorn they would give out with the TAPES? :)

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates