Let's Just Skip to the End

Yeah, the previous title made it seem like I might offer a narrative trilogy of our move to the Windy City. I might have done, if I had one of those fancy Verizon Wireless internet cards for my laptop. But no such luck and don't you know that I have been without internet for nearly a week due to the move? I missed you so, worldwide web.
Our road trip to Chicago took just about 6 1/2 hours. I'd prepared myself for a longer trip, but the delightful surprise of the journey was that Indiana's speed limit is 70 mph! Jason and I employed the thoughtful gift from Hugh of walkie-talkies to communicate during the drive, since we each had a vehicle to relocate. (Huh, this is the second post where I've noted a thoughtful and useful gift from Juliet and Hugh. Part homage to their considerate gift-giving, and maybe just a little encouragement to embrace and continue the tradition! Thanks for the housewarming gift too, by the way.) Every hour or so Jason radio'd over, "Wow, this is going great! We are making great time!" Indeed, we did. And along the way we saw the RV Hall of Fame. This was a special and distinct occasion to radio each other. It was under construction though, so we didn't stop. But since I had a drugged kitten in the passenger seat, it was probably better. Poor little guy could only meow meekly and plaintively, seeming to ask, "Why are you doing to this to me? I haaaate cars!" The drugs may have been what kept Teedie calm when he met his new neighbor, bull mastiff puppy, Winston. Two animals named for historical world leaders. If only we'd named Teeds for the later Roosevelt, and there was a third animal named Stalin (maybe a rat?), we'd have an animal recreation of Yalta.
Driving through Indiana, we hit the city of Gary. So not the town of Music Man fame. It was stinky, industrial, and the most curious thing was that we seemed to find ourselves in a storm of dirt. At first I wondered if it was a gravel truck ahead of us, or maybe rain that just looked dark because we were reaching the evening hours. Nope, dirt. Dirt blowing all around us, as though it was falling from the sky, for a good mile.
By tomorrow we will have been here for one week already. We had an energetic burst of unpacking initially, but the progress seems to have slowed now that we have the essentials available (bed, couch, and for Jason: flat panel monitors, computers, wireless mice, headset, and other techno gadgets.) Tonight we enjoyed our first Chicago pizza, a much heartier endeavor than the thin crust C-bus style pizza. Over an inch depth of solid cheese. Full after just one to two slices each, we have put the remainder in the fridge, and may not have to go out again for food for another week.


Comments