1993 Catches Up to Me
Jason lured me out on my maiden voyage on rollerblades by suggesting that we blade to the lake which is a few blocks away. "That tricky fellow," I thought to myself during the way there, "he knows I love the lake, and that I can hardly ever get him to go there with me. So manipulative to pick this as our destination!!"
I didn't fall down once, but my rollerblade skills mirror that of a little newborn foal trying to walk for the first time. I'd roll, then glide, then push off a little ... and then flail arms in the air desperate for balance, then roll again. As each pedestrian passed us I was eager to announce, "First Day on Rollerblades!! Make way! First Day on Rollerblades!" I did get a compliment from a neighbor sitting on his front porch watching the world go by.
I gained a new appreciation for a characteristic of our neighborhood I'd never noticed before: our sidewalks are both wide, and gratefully smooth. I guess our Alderman has been good for something after all.
Once we made it to the lake, Jason took a disturbing right turn, "Let's go a little further!" he exclaimed over his shoulder as he quickly advanced ahead of me. "NOOO! NOOOO!" I replied, "You said THE LAKE! We're at THE LAKE!" Even though I was doing fairly well, I wasn't quite ready for the long adventure.
To be fair, while we were shopping at Dick's, Jason also picked up a tennis racquet. He claims that he will now be able to beat me at tennis. We've played twice and I've beat him in 4 games. The weakness is attributed to his playing with my junior racquet. Now he's suggesting that we rollerblade to the tennis courts, once again using the lure of something I can't resist. So tricky!


Comments
p.s. yes, Jason is very tricky. Apparently he has been taking husband classes.
Nancy