What makes me happy
Right now, in this year that we can universally agree sucks, what will make me happy? There have been many stressful, anxious, uncertain and tough moments for me. The same for me and Jason. The same for Calvin, which just makes my heart fold onto itself a million times feeling his challenges to cope and understand this year. For us, COVID-19 is not a tragedy. (The people I know who have had it have recovered.) It’s not a shock of pain. It’s a dull, long question that hangs over us. It feels like the cloud that follows Charlie Brown.
Sometimes, in idle moments, I find myself sitting down and asking, “What will make me happy?” It’s not great that sometimes I answer with a glass of wine or online shopping. Better when I give exercise its shot.
I really enjoy the moments when something I created comes together. It’s the joy of kismet. Like finally hanging up the plant holders I had on my Amazon wishlist forever and then received as a Christmas gift. And finding the framed print from Target (cheap! easy!) that echoes another piece of art in room. It’s done. And it fits into the room like a puzzle piece. And it’s so satisfying that sitting on the couch and just looking at it makes me happy.
Not a stunning picture. But more of this, please.
Sometimes, in idle moments, I find myself sitting down and asking, “What will make me happy?” It’s not great that sometimes I answer with a glass of wine or online shopping. Better when I give exercise its shot.
I really enjoy the moments when something I created comes together. It’s the joy of kismet. Like finally hanging up the plant holders I had on my Amazon wishlist forever and then received as a Christmas gift. And finding the framed print from Target (cheap! easy!) that echoes another piece of art in room. It’s done. And it fits into the room like a puzzle piece. And it’s so satisfying that sitting on the couch and just looking at it makes me happy.
Not a stunning picture. But more of this, please.


Comments