Craving Introversion

It has been a long (but not yet over) week of 'grinning and gripping' as I traveled to a sales meeting and now find myself in Los Angeles awaiting the start of a large customer meeting. Sales meetings can be very pleasurable as most sales people are naturally extroverted. After meeting me just once, months before, they will still spy me from the corner of their eye, turn with arms outstretched and exclaim, "Claire! How ARE you??" I am particularly endeared to two colleague's who started with my company on the same day and this week confided that they refer to me as "Our Claire" whenever my name comes up.
By nature however, I am likely an introvert. A little shy, although my voice's natural propensity to carry across the room and my quick giggle might belie this.
In Las Vegas, on the last night of our sales meeting, I followed the group of chattering sales reps across the floor of the blinking and buzzing casino floor to dinner. The energy of the group, the blare of the casino, and my fatigue from the lingering cold and three days away from home drove my urge to introvert harder. I realized that I probably began to look a little like the bodyguard for the group, following just a step behind, a serious and thoughtful look on my face (as my thoughts focused inward) and quietly scanning the room with my eyes.
To survive, I might consider reading this book, The Introvert Advantage. The author notes, "Introverts are like a rechargeable battery. They need to stop expending energy and rest in order to recharge." Right now, I definitely need a little charge. Also, I've always considered introversion the less desirable tendency, so seeing this title piqued my interest... but the title's likely just a marketing ploy to us guilty introverts. Tricky.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow- I totally understand the recharging thing. I happily got the opportunity for recharging this weekend while Hubby was at our alma mater. House, MD rules, by the way.
Claire said…
I agree about House. How about bringing that for a loan over Thanksgiving?

Popular Posts