Mahalo (Whatever that Means)

I think I was in a little bit of denial. Posting the recap of the week away in Hawaii and marriage in Maui would mean that it was officially over.
Yes, I know, it was just the magical *beginning* but unfortunately we won't be spending the rest of our marriage in Maui.
It was a depressing return to earth as our plane touched down in 27 degree, icy Chicago. And then there were over 200 e-mail messages to answer. My Aloha spirit was frozen; then crushed by Lotus Notes. And I realized while driving home the other night that for the first time in ten days I had a headache, and the place where I banged my knee last year falling on ice hurt again, when I hadn't paid a thought to it the whole time away.
All I can say is, "We should have stayed for 2 weeks. We should have stayed for 2 weeks." Maybe if I say it three times and click my heels together I'll find myself back under the poolside cabana, a Four Seasons attendant offering me an orange slice or chilled facecloth.
Of our time away though, I can say "WOW." I so readily and hungrily fell into perfect relaxation. The weather was exquisite. Our accommodations were beyond belief, and the level of hotel service bordered on ridiculous. There is seriously a man who patrols the pool area inquiring if he might wipe off your sunglasses for you. Yet they time these helpful interruptions (Popsicle? More Water? Drink? Massage?) so perfectly that you never feel bothered.
We enjoyed snorkeling, especially once I figured out why my mouth filled with water every time I tried to inhale through my snorkel. That's not such a good situation, but once diagnosed it was easily fixed. We did a little "Discover Scuba" 20 foot dive.(See movie!) As we were zipping up our wetsuits, Jason confided, "I've wanted to SCUBA dive ever since I was little." It was cute to discover that there were still things to learn about the man I'd just married the day before. We bumped into a big sea turtle chilling on some coral and played hide and seek with a shy eel.

Not to forget, the wedding day was super beautiful. Juliet and I enjoyed manicures and pedicures at the salon, and I watched as her hair was piled up in curls and flowers on the top of her head. I had the nearest to the Bridezilla moment, which was very mild, as I waited for them to finish Juliet's hair fifteen minutes after I'd hoped we could go get dressed. "She doesn't need any more flowers in her hair! Let's go, please!"

I think the pictures can probably speak to the majority of the wedding day. (I know you were waiting for that link!)I loved how small and easy it was. When the photographer needed us for photos on the beach, we simply turned to our small contingent of guests and say, "Why don't you just go to the bar over there and we'll see you in 30 minutes?" No fuss over cocktail hour arrangements, worry over how people get from Point A to Point B, or table place cards. For dinner, we just sat down at the table, all at one table.

Jason teased me about the delight I took in parading through the hotel in my gown, as every guest smiled broadly at me, wished us congratulations, or raised their glass with best wishes. No kidding, Japanese tourists took photos with me! When the restaurant apologized that we'd have to walk downstairs for the ladies room because their's were under repair, "No problem!" I declared, "I might just take another lap around the property for the notoriety!" I whispered into Juliet's ear. Outside of the restaurant, an older gentleman approached, took my hand and said, "It's not the dress that's beautiful, it's the bride," and offered a small kiss on the cheek. "Player," Jason pretended to grumble, "I bet he hangs around the lobby, waiting for all the brides."

There are more details to share, like the champagne that greeted us in our room at check-in, the yummy orange blossom mint ice tea always ready and chilled in the lobby, the perfect mojitos... and that's just the beverages! Maybe I'll post more later, but this should satiate the initial curiosity over our wedding.
It's still hard to believe that that guy in the next room in our apartment... he's my HUSBAND! (Who also just helped me figure out how to format my SCUBA video correctly. Thnx!)

Comments

Andra Sue said…
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! Congratulations to you and Jason. You look beautiful in your gown, as well as very serene and totally happy. I must say, with orange blossom mint iced tea at the ready, how could your wedding *not* have been perfect!?

Yes, it's too bad you had to come back. If only honeymoons were meant to last forever...
james wells said…
Woohooooo! Congrats to you and Jason, it's a wonderful thing.
Ellyn said…
Wow!!! What a beautiful wedding... I love your dress, especially the flair at the bottom... and Jason's suit is so dapper... much better than a traditional tux! It looks like you had a fabulous time, and I'm so glad that you got to go snorkeling and scuba diving, too. Congratulations!!!
That Girl! said…
Omg I feel like I'm commenting too late but congratulations!!!

You look absolutely beautiful and Jason looks so fab in his suit. In the pictures, both of you have this glow, this content and happy look. Amazing!! I'm so excited and happy for you and Jason!!

Sending love and warmest wishes!

PS...as soon as I get my act together, you can expect something in the mail from Boston. I've been meaning to mail this gift I bought a month ago, well a month ago!

Popular Posts