I Judge
Everyone does it, you know you do. Standing in the aisles of Barnes & Noble you look at the books on the shelves and you judge them...by their covers.
Funny, with the kindle this practice is a little disabled, especially if you are shopping for your next book on your kindle. The best imagery is a black and white thumbnail image. That's how I ended up downloading "The Apothecary's Daughter" by Julie Klassen. It sounded very Jane Austenesque and a nice break after finishing the detailed historical non-fiction, Cleopatra. I read the new book in three days. I stayed up late reading. I read on the train. Even today at lunch I read the last pages at my desk. When the lunch hour technically expired I just lowered the kindle a little further into my lap and finished the last few pages.
Feeling the sudden regret that it was over and maybe I should have read slower towards the end to make it last longer, I went to the internet. If I could find some commentary on the book, see what the cover had looked like to deepen my picture of the heroine, it would not be over!
I felt a little silly when I did see the cover. Nothing I'd ever pick up off the shelf. It looks like teenage romance! A tick away from having Fabio on the cover if it were more mature. My chagrin and surprise grew more when I learned it was written by an author in the "Christian fiction" genre. Not even a section I'd browse in the bookstore, but it did explain why at one very pivotal moment in the book the characters decided to drop everything and pray.
Funny, with the kindle this practice is a little disabled, especially if you are shopping for your next book on your kindle. The best imagery is a black and white thumbnail image. That's how I ended up downloading "The Apothecary's Daughter" by Julie Klassen. It sounded very Jane Austenesque and a nice break after finishing the detailed historical non-fiction, Cleopatra. I read the new book in three days. I stayed up late reading. I read on the train. Even today at lunch I read the last pages at my desk. When the lunch hour technically expired I just lowered the kindle a little further into my lap and finished the last few pages.
Feeling the sudden regret that it was over and maybe I should have read slower towards the end to make it last longer, I went to the internet. If I could find some commentary on the book, see what the cover had looked like to deepen my picture of the heroine, it would not be over!
I felt a little silly when I did see the cover. Nothing I'd ever pick up off the shelf. It looks like teenage romance! A tick away from having Fabio on the cover if it were more mature. My chagrin and surprise grew more when I learned it was written by an author in the "Christian fiction" genre. Not even a section I'd browse in the bookstore, but it did explain why at one very pivotal moment in the book the characters decided to drop everything and pray.

Comments