"You're my little telescope, always staring up into space."
About a year ago I started making a quick note on my phone whenever Calvin asked me a question that was on his mind. It was funny and curious to see all the places that his mind went. Listening the song, "Space Cadet" from Secret Agent 23 Skidoo today captured how much I love his curiosity and being able to follow the little breadcrumbs his brain drops when he asks a question to see where his head is going.
Here's that list of questions from last year (and keep in mind he often gets thoughtful in the car, while I'm trying to focus on driving.)
- What happened to that girl pharaoh? (I had to remember we had recently read a book about Hatshepsut, an Egyptian female pharaoh.)
- Why was the Sphinx built?
- Why are little kid cars convertibles? (those little battery powered cars toddlers drive in their cul-de-sacs)
- Do self driving cars have a thing on top? (I discerned this question was essentially: how do self driving cars work?)
- How do earthquakes happen?
- Why was Dad so dumb? (This one gave me pause. 😃 It's a reference to Jason's explanation of why he joined the Marines at 18.)
- Why don't mascots talk?
- Why do they give babies so many shots?
- Why can't there be a pill that puts all the good medicine in your body?
- What's a pot belly?
- Do I get to choose my roommate in college?
- Why when Joan of Arc was alive a lot of dumb stuff was going on? (By "dumb stuff" he apparently meant witchcraft.)
- What is with dogs and tennis balls?
- Why do some schools allow food fights? (He insists they do.)
- Why don't humans have tails?
- How did humans learn to walk on two feet?
- Who is the tallest policeman in the world?
- Did Russia go to the moon?
- Who is winning the space race?
- Do you know how starfish are born?
- Why are nukes so powerful?
- How come when you wake me up in the morning I am so tired?
- Why do airports throw away so much stuff? Like expensive stuff? (Follow-up questions revealed this question was about customs and TSA seizures.)
One of my favorite lyrics:
"Your eyes are like donuts big and warm and glazed. You are my little space cadet and I wouldn't have it any other way. "


Comments