1980 Calling...

In my last job we had the same phones that CTU has on 24, from Cisco System. They have all the features that we presume to be standard on our personal cell phones: caller id, missed call log, speed dial. (On 24 I figure they probably have some extra perks, like ability to track Jack Bauer across international borders.) You could change the ring tone too: jazz saxophone or piano interlude? A couple of different lines, so while chatting with your loved one about what's for dinner you could know that the important client was calling in (and weigh whether it'd be easier just to let them leave their problem on voicemail so you could call back with a solution already prepared.)
At my new job, at a considerably bigger and one might think, wealthier, company I seem to have the same phone my sister had in her college dorm room. 10 years ago. Come to think of it, her phone probably had even more features. This Fisher-Price looking phone on my desk has no useful features, not even a second line. If I'm on the phone discussing leftover meatloaf there's no way to know if anyone else is calling. Meatloaf is the mandatory priority. (Maybe the point that the higher-up's are trying to make is that I should minimize the personal calls? Do you think?)
This is just one of the disappointing surprises of coming into corporate life. I figured things might be a little more luxe, especially versus the start-up where I'd worked before. I guess I forget that at a start-up the decisions are made by a handful of folks who are innovative and ambitious. At a big corporation the purchasing is made by a committee of bean counters, who probably don't even have cell phones of their own yet.

Comments

Popular Posts