Glass Half Full, Really


My boss told me the other day that all month long, it seems like I've been having a case of the Ziggies. Dental problems, endless car repairs. And then ridiculous happenings like the service department's voicemail not working so they never got the ok to do any of the hundreds of dollars worth of service.
And then my temporary filling fell out.
And that's not what I ordered, why did they send me this?
And why have I been on hold for over seven minutes??
And that's still not the right kind of lightbulb (after buying 3 different types.)

It's been like being buried alive, by individual grains of sand.
Little grains of sand should be easy to cast away. Take a deep breath and blow them away. I just have to remember to be a little assertive about these little needling woes.

I don't know if I'm up for anything so formal (and maybe cheesy) like a Gratitude Journal. If I turned the blog into one, I think you'd quickly sicken.

Nevertheless, today I was trying to remind myself to remember the good BIG things: a home that's so comfortable and nice; good health (cavities not counting); our jobs; our goofy cats (even if they broke that vase last night); a warm fire; a hot shower; Friday night drinks with friends; making a call to a distant friend or family member and catching them at home, with lots of time to talk; finally finding the right lightbulb.

I will also remind myself to do the little good things that might make a difference in someone else's lousy day: reloading the printer with paper, even if I'm not printing anything; waving in someone who's trying to pull out into traffic; holding the elevator; holding the door.

And just trying to take that deep breath before replying to that stupid, stupid email.

Comments

Andra Sue said…
http://www.econowhiner.com/2009/01/27/just-another-cant-take-it-anymore-day/
Claire said…
I'm so there!

Popular Posts