Wicked Good Fun
Theater-going for musical entertainment was a regular routine growing up. Saturday matinees at the Walnut Street Theater, to enjoy the season ticket subscription seats that Mom and Dad shared with friends. This was where I learned the basic rules of musical theater, like when the audience walks out singing the songs, it means it's a hit. (Mom whispered this into my ear as we shuffled out at the end of a show next to a couple absently-minded humming the score.) But I honestly can't quickly remember the last time I went to see a big show. It might have been due to an oversaturation of overhead show tunes in college, from friends like Abby and David. (Just the same with my hiatus from Tori Amos, thanks to roommate Ellyn who selected Tori's albums as a our dorm room soundtrack.)The dry "spell" was broken on Friday night as I was invited to join Jason's mom and her friends to see "Wicked" now playing in Chicago. I felt the familiar tingle that comes over you as the lights go down and the orchestra strikes up the music. Spectacular sets, funny lines, and intriguing lighting effects (wait, is that really rain?) kept me captivated.
I had read the book, "Wicked, the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" and was really disappointed. Such an interesting premise, but such a preachy, unenjoyable book. At the end, I didn't feel any differently about the Wicked Witch. She was blunt, unhappy, and... wicked! Thankfully, the musical boils the story down to its best parts, editing out the disjointed, annoyingly slow pace of the book. I had been slightly cautious, since so many people had told me the book was so good, and I heard the same of the muscial. Luckily, the reviews of the musical were accurate.
Thanks to Nancy and her friends for inviting me along... perhaps inspiring my musical reinassance.


Comments