Chicago and other surprising events

There are sometimes when I struck with the surprise that I live in Chicago. One of those Talking Heads 'Once in a Lifetime' moments:
"And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful Wife
And you may ask yourself - well...how did I get here?"
I had those same moments when I lived in Columbus too.
Or when I remembered that I was barely past 21 and both of my parents were gone. Or when I realize that they are both already gone for over ten years.
Mom for 15 this year; how is that possible?
Sometimes these epiphanies are energizing, and sometimes they are profoundly sad and redefining.
Gratefully, Chicago falls into the energizing category. And it makes me wonder how 7 pm on a Friday has arrived without making any plans for the weekend. And how did my TimeOut Chicago subscription expire? (See what a little warm weather can do for me?)
Moving away from home takes courage, and as you're rocketing forward on that trajectory you can feel just as bewildered as that little bear on the Kanye West album cover. (Congrats to Abby & David, for launching themselves across the country to Portland!)
This new Kanye West video can remind me what I like about Chicago:
HOMECOMING from kwest on Vimeo.
Plans for the weekend so far:
- Movie with friend tonight
- Pulling the tarp of the deck furniture and visiting the local greenhouse for flowers for the deck


Comments