Never too Late to Resolve for oh-8
No crazy goals like losing 10 pounds, making it to Director-level, or giving up caffeine. I prefer the little daily things that you can remember, do fairly immediately, and feel accomplished.
1. Sit up straight. Stand up straight. Good posture does a lot for conveying authority and beauty. Might make me look thinner too.
2. Drink more water. A good habit, and I'm sure there are more studies underway to tell me that it'll do great crazy things like lower my cholesterol and make my horoscopes come true. In an indirect way, it might help with the aforementioned caffeine addiction by displacing that habit beverage once or twice a day.
3. Take vitamins. After I worked on a drug for macular degeneration, I went into a good six months of faithful vitamin taking. Read enough articles and you can convince yourself that vitamins will make all the difference.
4. Take the stairs. Start with going down; then start going 2 floors up; eventually climb all four floors up, with the 20 lb backpack, at 8 am in the morning.
5. Eat smaller portions. I saw on the news the other night that people will gobble down 27% more mac n' cheese if it's called creamy mac n' cheese. We will take 25% more pasta from the buffet if their plate is 2 inches wider. I may consider eating dinner off of my dessert plates.
6a. I hesitate, because I'm such a happy little lump on the couch when I get home from work (when do you think I do all this blogging?!), but I might try getting to the gym once a week, on a weeknight. I'm fairly ok on the weekends, but getting a weeknight in the mix would probably do a lot for my heart and my hips.
6b. Buy the running shorts AndraSue advised me of, and see if running might be something I like. Once the temperature gets above 45 around here, which will probably be April.
7. Make business travel more fun. Travel more for fun. Consider adding a day onto business trips for a tourism visit or to see a friend. Take Jason with me. (The corollary resolution for the Husband is to make him get a passport! Even if kidnapping and dragging to the post office blind-folded is required.)
8. Floss. Especially after 2007's dental problems. And maybe find a new dentist too.
Those are my optimistic commitments for the year. No promises, but best efforts will be made.

And we might also be buying our first home. More will no undoubtedly be posted about that adventure.


Comments