A Place to Call Home

The clock might have always been ticking, distantly, in our ears, but a phone call a week ago Friday started it pounding. Our lease is up at the end of April, and our landlord is ready to sell.
I'm feeling excited, anxious, worried, and intrigued.
Uncertainty has flown in like a bird onto our windowsill, chirping curiously, "Whatdo you want to do? Buy this place? Move? Move where?"

First I was alarmed and worried. Someone was calling and talking about taking away our HOME.

Then I got excited, all the possibilities of new rehabbed condos nearby. A perfect time for buyers, with the market so terrible; especially first-time home buyers who have no previous home to unload. The empty apartments inviting us in with their shiny modern conveniences like granite countertops, iPod hookups, cherry cabinets. We might find someplace even better than where we live right now.

My feelings sunk as we started to look at a few of the listings. Postage stamp sized decks, small mouse nook living rooms where I'm not sure our couch might even fit, and a doubling of our walk to the train station. Our place is looking a little better.
And it's tempting to consider what we could do with the money we wouldn't have to spend on movers. Having rented for so long, I'm attracted to the sense of permanence and control. Not worrying about the rent going up next year. When something's broken, being able to fix it the way you want. (Pointed example is that I would take down the granny fan our landlord brought in when the original one died.)
Buying furniture that is uniquely suited to this space. Small little things like putting up bedside lamps on the wall. (Without the worry of how big the hole will be and if it'll be deducted from the security deposit.)
PAINTING the walls with COLOR!!

New lights for the kitchen:


New lights for the hallway with a tidy, fitted, contrasting stripe:


A fun color for the master bathroom:


Bedside lamps:


Losing the ubiquitous plastic blinds:


Maybe a real dining table, a new bed:

With all that I have in mind, I might have to add a hefty allowance to the price of our new home. And convince Jason's dad, an electrician, to come help us with the multiple lighting dreams I have.

Comments

Andra Sue said…
Oooh, I like those bedside lamps. I have a thing lately for lamp bases with glass balls in the middle of them!

Much luck to you, whatever you decide; I'm sure there are tons of deals out there to be had in Chi-town.
Anonymous said…
i say go for it! Owning is awesome, and what are you waiting for anyway? I like your place now - my vote is stay and decorate!
-Juliet

Popular Posts