Wardrobe for My Dream Life

For this season's Project Runway, the "accessory wall" is sponsored by Bluefly.com. So, like an obedient little consumer, I find myself browsing Bluefly.com while watching PR.
Musing in my head about the idea of wearing a new, fun evening gown for our wedding dinner this June, I find far too many options for just one night.
And I wonder,
In what life do I get to wear this?
With these little shoes?

Or maybe this? (w/ a lovely little red shoe, for the receptions at the Embassy?)


And where are my "Real Housewives of Orange County" weekend cocktail parties to wear this one to?

This inspires me. I was at the mall the other weekend (yawn, I know) but I looked across the racks and saw this girl who clearly had fashion and "dressing up" in mind every day. She was wearing a cute pink floral print dress, black boots, and a fun plaid wool jacket. (It sounds a little motley, but with her plastic frame 'nerdy but adorable' glasses, it worked.) Another woman even said it aloud, "I love your outfit." I tried to step in closer to the rack of clothes I stood by, a poor attempt at camouflaging my jeans, hoodie, and lace-ups. I was dressed like I had been expecting to paint a room that day or maybe clean out horse stalls, not go out in public.
My closet has fallen into the 'look good when it matters to your career' workday clothing, and 'be comfortable' weekends. I've also had the crossroads moment when I spied someone from work at the mall, and tried to hustle up into a store. Can't have them find out my secret double life as a weekend stablehand.

Comments

That Girl! said…
omg the silver dress is amazing and if you paired it with those shoes and I saw you, I'd be freaking out. Totally awesome outfit! The only problem with fabrics like silk charmeuse is that if you sit for long periods of time it wrinkles rather easily.

Sigh, it's too bad you don't live closer, I'd love to be able to gussy up your wardrobe :)
Claire said…
Here's to me becoming wealthy enough to...(once I've given lots to charity and have a foundation in my name) ...fly my stylist in from Boston every week.

I think I've decided that the life where I have this wardrobe is the one where I marry Tom Cruise. It seems to have be an effective fashion makeover for Katie - from hoodies to Hermes.
Andra Sue said…
YEAH, YEAH!!! What Leah said! Why can't you wear that silver dress with those shoes at your wedding reception??? You simply must. I am LUSTING AFTER those shoes, I tell you!

I, too, am envioius of people like the girl you saw in the mall. And in Dallas, they're positively EVERYWHERE. People dress up to go to the grocery store here. I'm trying my best to start buying casual clothes with a little more flair. And I'm proud to say I haven't worn actual running shoes with jeans in over 2 years. Although, I have a very well-worn pair of Keens. And I still love REI. Sigh.
That Girl! said…
Haha, I hope we don't all have to marry Tom Cruise to get that lux make over! However, I agree with you, Katie Holmes looks amazing most days. Her hair and make-up are perfect and her outfits are darling. A bit matronly at times but she's so tall, I bet it things look better in real life rather than via pictures.

Popular Posts