When Sinbad is Right...
...and your candidate is wrong, it may be time to reconsider your candidate. *Sigh*
Oh Hillary, why?
I kinda think, if I were really under sniper fire, I might've remembered it. (But I have never been, at least to my recollection.)
Bill Richardson was my early preference, and now he's tossed in for Obama, so with this and other events, I find myself quietly considering where the election (and my general election vote) is going:
- I hated Clinton's lobbying to get Florida and Michigan counted. I couldn't defend the reversal. If you went in agreeing with the Democratic National Party that those states delegates shouldn't be seated because they moved up their primaries, don't change your mind just because you're falling behind.
- I don't like the principal of the superdelegates either. Maybe I don't understand it. Maybe they give a surrogate voice to those states whose primaries are so late that their votes wouldn't normally count for anything anyway (Pennsylvania.) The superdelegate dynamic feels so shadowy and suspicious. 'Whatever the little voters wanted, nevermind, we can decide for them.' (Kind of feels like the Supreme Court deciding against a popular vote.)
This is just getting messy. I am getting disgruntled.
Jason's floating around the house slightly more carefully and kindly than usual, sensing that my candidate's end may be nigh. This might also be because I threatened to start rooting for Michigan the last time he started gloating about his candidate's increasing likelihood of victory.
If the election were held today, I'd stay at home in bed in my flannels, brooding over the last chance to have a female president before I'd become eligible myself. Forget McCain v Obama, my candidate never wins anyway.
Oh Hillary, why?
I kinda think, if I were really under sniper fire, I might've remembered it. (But I have never been, at least to my recollection.)
Bill Richardson was my early preference, and now he's tossed in for Obama, so with this and other events, I find myself quietly considering where the election (and my general election vote) is going:
- I hated Clinton's lobbying to get Florida and Michigan counted. I couldn't defend the reversal. If you went in agreeing with the Democratic National Party that those states delegates shouldn't be seated because they moved up their primaries, don't change your mind just because you're falling behind.
- I don't like the principal of the superdelegates either. Maybe I don't understand it. Maybe they give a surrogate voice to those states whose primaries are so late that their votes wouldn't normally count for anything anyway (Pennsylvania.) The superdelegate dynamic feels so shadowy and suspicious. 'Whatever the little voters wanted, nevermind, we can decide for them.' (Kind of feels like the Supreme Court deciding against a popular vote.)
This is just getting messy. I am getting disgruntled.
Jason's floating around the house slightly more carefully and kindly than usual, sensing that my candidate's end may be nigh. This might also be because I threatened to start rooting for Michigan the last time he started gloating about his candidate's increasing likelihood of victory.
If the election were held today, I'd stay at home in bed in my flannels, brooding over the last chance to have a female president before I'd become eligible myself. Forget McCain v Obama, my candidate never wins anyway.


Comments
I think you are entirely right to be upset about this missed opportunity to elect a female president. Oddly, I think America is ready for a female president. The problem in this instance is that Hillary is a Clinton, and that dynasty plays by rules which now alienate most democratic voters.
But don't give up hope! There is a a new generation of female politicians not drenched in slimey Clintonian baggage. Consider the governor of Kansas, for instance. Kathleen Sebelius is a democratic governor in an overwhelmingly conservative state. She rose through the ranks on her own personal merits, and her husband is virtually unknown. If you ask me, a popular female, democratic governor in a conservative heartland state sound like good presidential material!
But who knows? I suspect that the Clintons are working like gangbusters trying to find dirt that will crush Obama forever. They might succeed, and Hillary could very likely still be our next president.
Ben M
Maybe next time. Or the time after that... or in 16 years, or 24.