Me & My Ocelot

The other day when I was blogging about National Poetry Month Ellyn commented that the kids at her school celebrated with "Poem in My Pocket" week. Each student carried a personally selected poem in their pocket and could go up to each other and ask to hear each other's poems. It made me wonder which poem each of us would carry in our pockets. What poem for me? What verse might typify my sister? Jason?

I have never seen the movie The Golden Compass (although I started to wish I had plugged in the armrest headphones and watched it on a recent plane ride.) One of the premises I found most intriguing is the idea that every character in the movie has a animal spirit companion, or daemon, that represents their soul. Throughout the movie each character is shadowed by their animal spirit: Nicole Kidman is followed by a monkey; other characters are partnered with dogs, ferrets or mice. Like my curiosity about the poems in our pockets, I wondered what each of our animal spirits might be.
And sure enough, the movie marketers cleverly anticipated I'd think about that: I discovered that you can go to the movie's website and find out your own animal spirit.
I took the quiz and it turns out my animal spirit is an ocelot (a wildcat) because I am "modest, competitive, sociable and inquisitive."
My daemon's name is Thaleron, which sounds a little goth weird. Do you think he'd mind if I just call him Thad? It's a little interesting to imagine him walking to the train with me, lounging at my feet in meetings, and following me around the kitchen... oh wait, that last one is my real cat.

The Golden Compass was just released on DVD, so maybe I'll add it to my Netflix list.
And in the meantime, you should take the daemon quiz and tell me who your animal soul is too!

Comments

Anonymous said…
My name is Skaene. I am Juliet's tiger Daemon. I am solitary, shy, a leader, assertive, and responsible.
Claire said…
It SO figures, reflective of how I spent my childhood watching my little sister grow taller than me, she has a bigger cat daemon. Tiger vs. little ocelot.

Popular Posts