Felled by Guns, Germs, and Steel
I think I finally realized, after questioning Jason whether there was some exciting plot twist I should be looking forward to (not really), that G,G,&S may be a book that people are proud to boast that they have read, rather than a book they actually enjoyed reading.
Jason will on occasion scoff at my interest in fiction, insisting that after finishing a work of fiction I don't walk away with any useful learning in my head. Fair enough, although I point to the fact that it broadens my vocabulary. (More so than his books that carry titles like Java Servlets or LINUX in a Nutshell.) And fiction can be far more entertaining, especially compared to G,G,&S.
Not to wimp out entirely I have traded in the 512 page G,G,&S for the 992 page Team of Rivals by Doris Kearnes Goodwin. I gave it to Jason for a birthday, or maybe Christmas. By the creaking sound of the opening spine when I picked it up, I don't think he's read it yet. After 50 pages last night, I have more faith in completing this book. And if so, I will boast of it later.
I see on amazon that there's an G,G,&S DVD, maybe if winter lasts those extra weeks that the groundhog predicted this might be something to consider.

Comments
-Juliet
I know she confessed to plagarism ~5 years ago... but I don't think that means that she hasn't written a word of her own since.
She did probably write that book about growing up a fan of the Brooklyn Dodgers.
I did not like the professor who thought we were going to be reverent when he brought the esteemed DKG to our first class. She and this prof meet and bonded in Fox News' green room (no kidding).