Every Night on the Nimitz
All week I have been addicted to watching Carrier on PBS. And they fed my addiction by playing two hours every single night!
I hesitated to blog about how much I loved it, because the series wrapped up on Friday night, so none of you would be able to enjoy it. But thanks to the glories of the internet, you too can enjoy the full episodes, on demand.
By Tuesday, I wanted to fly jets, especially after seeing profiles of two female pilots on the carrier. But PBS went beyond the show-off shenanigans of Top Gun to the annals of the ship, and the stories of all the enlisted personnel who keep the ship running. How to planes launch? How do they take care of everyone's trash? What do the dining halls look like? How do they do laundry? Where do they keep their stuff?
The series is not like a History or Military Channel documentary devoted to detailing the technical details of the Nimitz or its historical contributions to wartime history. Instead, the filmmakers followed a handful of crew members aboard the Nimitz, from the girl making scrambled eggs in the galley to the guy running the catapult under the decks.
The music from the series is also very good, which is why they include the play list on the website.
I have no idea what I'll do next week, since I've spent this gloomy weekend watching the remaining hours of Carrier I missed during the week on TiVo.


Comments