I Compromise with Fashion
Oh fashion mavens, why do you coax us into doing things that we're uncomfortable with? Is it because it's for our own good? Or because you delight in playing master puppeteer, convincing our little sheep brains that something new is much better than the old, but perfectly functionable version?
I'm not quite sure about this spring trend for the gladiator sandal.
I look at them and I just think: ugly.
Thickening, with their wide leather straps.
Shortening, with the horizontal criss-crosses chopping the line of our legs off prematurely.
And awkwardly flat-footed when there's no heel to raise and slim the calves, and offset the first two debilitating features.
But when my friend stood in these shoes in a downtown Loehman's a few days ago I was astounded that they actually looked really good on her. She's a little more ahead of me on these things, and already knew that dressing up like Russell Crowe was the defining trend for the spring. (And she got them a good deal cheaper than they are listed online!)
So, also aligning with my resolution to try a little harder in the casual wear department, I found this nice compromise from Timberland:
A nod to the gladiators, but with skinny straps and helping me keep the self-perception alive that I have adorable, diminutive feet. This may suggest may full brainwashing by the fashionistas, but they're actually pretty comfortable too!
And a nice way to side step away from these:
These sandals fall into the category of the item I'd try on, just to make myself laugh out loud.


Comments