Cheerleaders on the Team Bus
If you can't put the product in the program (per my last post), insert the program in the middle of the product you're trying to sell: embedded reporters. Regardless of your feelings about GWB or the war, the administration started off by marketing the war in a unique way. It really wasn't a bad idea, and made for interesting new reports. However, this article from Al Jazeera has the best quote from John Burnett of NPR explaining his disullusionment with the whole experience: "During my travels with the marines, I couldn't shake the sense that we were cheerleaders on the team bus."
I wonder though, about the great irony of Al Jazeera critiquing the objectiveness of American journalists. Years ago, (so long ago that I think I was watching 60 Minutes at home, with my dad no less,) I remember Al Jazeera being hailed as a new, important, independent voice. More recent opinions may have changed, and it seems like they're not liked by either side: "The channel has veered from accusations of being a mouthpiece of al-Qaida chief Osama bin Laden to being a creation of the CIA. It is boycotted by Saudi Arabia and its reporters are banned from entering Iraq and Saudi Arabia."
Post-Script Reflection of the Day: If this post doesn't get me listed with Technorati, it might get me on the Homeland Security list. But I'll offset it and deliver my own balanced "journalism"... that last quote above is from a Washington Times article.
My favorite "inside Iraq" point-of-view comes from Discovery New York Times Channel: Off to War


Comments