Fuming

Mommy, feed me!

I spent $40 on gasoline today. It was the thrice-in-a-lifetime occasion when the empty tank indcator light on my car blinked on.

Those of you who know me well, know this is true. The second time wasn't even in my control, boyfriend Jason was at the wheel and insisted that we could make it out of Canada without having to refill. Without ever having tested the red-light limits of my relatively new car, of course, I fretted. I angrily ruminated on the potential breakdown scenario on the highway leading out of Toronto, where we had been for a friend's wedding. Would AAA come find me, even on the other side of the border? It certainly didn't help that Jason raised his voice to a whiny, needy tone and channeled my car's desires, "Mommy, I'm hungry. Feeeeed meeee!" My anger pitched even higher, when after making it over the border, Jason considered, "You know, I bet we could even make it to Buffalo." After some arguing, (in the best way that two people will argue when they're coming home from vacation, have been in the car together for two hours, and have six hours ahead of them,) we stopped for gas. I did not have to wrench the wheel from his hands and haul the car across lanes of opposing traffic to effect the refill.

After today's gas station stop I reflected that the regular mini-refill (1/4 tank usually) can soundly protect one from the impact of rising gas prices. I recommend it. Even buying premium gas, I'm rarely spending more than $20 a visit.
So, rolling in on fumes today, had me rolling out fuming. $40? Are you kidding me? How long have gas prices been this high???

Comments

james wells said…
Bloody Americans! Gas here in New Zealand is around $5.00 a gallon.

Popular Posts