Pay Bills, Feed Children... Oh Wait, No Children
Can any other animal be distracted like humans? Like finding yourself in a different lane of traffic and then not remembering how you got there? Talking to someone on the phone, while hearing the pitter-patter of little keystrokes on the other end of the line? (Juliet: "Claire, I can TELL you're typing!" -- which usually means I just try to type more quietly. Or Claire to Jason:"Ok, you're clearly programming so I'll see you at home.")
With the move to Chicago now in play, and even before then I've been really distracted. Not a good thing when the credit card bill is due. Or when I look down at the cat's empty bowl at night and ask myself, "Did I feed him today?" Good thing I don't have kids yet.
Moving to the third largest city in the U.S. is quite thrilling. I have to remind myself that Chicago is even bigger than Philadelphia. When you grow up in the nation's 5th (ok, maybe 6th - darn Phoenix!) largest city, chances are that if you move anywhere, it'll be smaller. But now I'm moving somewhere BIGGER. The preoccupation with knowing that there's so much to learn about a new city has left me distracted. It's one of those times where I don't even know what I'm forgetting. Could be the credit card bill, could be stopping by the gym to cancel my membership, or... what was it?
To prove my point, there are two significant news events today that I was totally unaware of: Scott McClellan resigns, the TomKitten arrives. I'm so ashamed of myself. Tonight I was one of those people who genuinely got their news from The Daily Show.
With the move to Chicago now in play, and even before then I've been really distracted. Not a good thing when the credit card bill is due. Or when I look down at the cat's empty bowl at night and ask myself, "Did I feed him today?" Good thing I don't have kids yet.
Moving to the third largest city in the U.S. is quite thrilling. I have to remind myself that Chicago is even bigger than Philadelphia. When you grow up in the nation's 5th (ok, maybe 6th - darn Phoenix!) largest city, chances are that if you move anywhere, it'll be smaller. But now I'm moving somewhere BIGGER. The preoccupation with knowing that there's so much to learn about a new city has left me distracted. It's one of those times where I don't even know what I'm forgetting. Could be the credit card bill, could be stopping by the gym to cancel my membership, or... what was it?
To prove my point, there are two significant news events today that I was totally unaware of: Scott McClellan resigns, the TomKitten arrives. I'm so ashamed of myself. Tonight I was one of those people who genuinely got their news from The Daily Show.


Comments