Slippy Chair

I made my debut at my new job today. Officially, I am not scheduled to start until Monday, but there was a extended team meeting, and my managers asked me to attend. It's hard to say no when you've only just started on the job.
Prepared to make my very best first impression I had a haircut yesterday and put on a freshly dry cleaned khaki suit this morning. Oddly enough, the meeting was held at a nearby Irish pub. (Hey, I like this company already!) Although the corporate code is that this was just an "off-site meeting." No need to disclose the seedier details.
For four hours of presentations I did my best to sit up straight, look attentive, inquisitive, thoughtful, and smart. But bars have slippy chairs. Wooden and polished from hours spent over beers and pub fries. Every few minutes, I felt my butt start sliding down towards the edge of the chair, creating a slouch in my shoulders. It was maddening. I'd pull myself back up, only to slide right back. I tried tensing my foot against the leg of the table, as a brace. This was uncomfortable. I pulled the chair tight up to the table, essentially attempting to pin my torso in an upright position. Argh. Elbows on the table provided some stability, but I was breathing down my new peers' necks, and also a little bit in their sodas. Great, I'm the new girl who has no respect for sensible personal space limits.
Stupid slippy chair trying to thwart my best impression first day.

Comments

Popular Posts