Oh, Martha

During my "packing and organizing breaks" while prepping for the move, I've enjoyed some daytime television. A vacuous space of television programming which does so little for the brain. Even before today, I tried watching Martha Stewart's new casual talk show, "Martha." Poor Martha, coming out of jail (so appropriate that it was nicknamed 'Camp Cupcake') and just trying to reintegrate into society and make pals.
Martha's previous show usually had her in a clean and solo setting, quietly ensconced in the garden or kitchen of one of her protected homes, with the camera as the only audience. After watching her new live studio audience show, I can tell that Martha was much more comfortable in the former setting where she was the only one talking.
On the new show, celeb guests bungle their way through crafts and cooking that Martha demonstrates. When said giggling celeb inevitably goofs their task Martha reaches over, suppressing her perturbation with the imperfection, and fixes the error herself. She corrected Tom Selleck today. Or she ignores the fact that the celeb is like 9 steps behind in their craft and forges ahead to show her perfect product. I watch and I just really want to hear Martha laugh at some mistake. Like Julia Child picking up a chicken that accidentally slipped onto the floor, wiping it off and continuing to cook. (Ok, that's an urban legend, but it's the spirit of it. Even with her Cordon Bleu background, Julia was still one of us!) If Martha doesn't want to laugh and talk with the celebrities, would she ever deign the poor folks like me with her attention?
I can't decide if I want Martha to be successful or not. In college, I loved her. I still love the small good thing tips and ideas. (No way could I ever manage any larger scale Martha project.) And there's also the consideration that a member of my newly extended family works with MS. But I've also heard wicked stories about Martha knowingly buying rare antique china from a naive family at a garage sale, then refusing to sell it back when the family learned it was more valuable than they initially knew. If you're Martha Stewart, can't you afford to let one or two things go? But Martha was apparently smug, insisting that "all sales were final."
And now watching this show, she just doesn't come off as likeable at all. Oh, Martha.

Comments

Popular Posts