The Girl Scout in Me

I hope I'm not the only one who does this: I look for opportunities to do good deeds, favors to strangers, throughout the course of the day. But usually, it doesn't involve following said stranger into their bathroom stall.
Today, as I was standing outside the airport ladies room, hoisting my backpack into the precarious balance that allows me to wheel it around on top of my rollerboard suitcase, when a woman breezed into the ladies room, chatting on her cell phone. Her boarding pass fluttered to the ground as she passed. I picked it up, reading quickly to see if she was an arriving or departing passenger. Sure enough: departing to Los Angeles. I followed her into the restroom, calling "excuse me!" Four times, and she didn't hear me, until her hand was on the door to the empty stall. "EXCUSE ME!" I practically shouted. "YOUR TICKET!" (Oops, still shouting, although I now had her attention because I was certainly infringing on the most personal of personal space.)
Her look of confusion passed quickly to relief and she bid me quick thanks, confessing breathlessly to the person on the phone, "Oh my god, I almost lost my ticket!"
Good deed for the day done. (I must be entitled to some ice cream, no?)

Comments

abby said…
I guess the more time you spend as an actual Scout in your youth, the less likely you are to do good things for people as an adult.

Also, Marit knows the peeps behind Apartment Therapy, so if you ever come to NYC again ;) we can arrange something so you can move them from the "People to Meet" section...

Popular Posts