Blah, Blah, Beige Sheep



It's true, I've learned many a lesson about big corporations with my recent career change. In big corporations, it may take an entire day for IT to get your Lotus Notes password. You are also granted a UPI #, the Unique Personal Identifier which you will use for all your mandatory online corporate ethics training modules. Your company stock ticker is on the homepage for your web browser. You get a 20% discount at LensCrafters. This week, we even had an entire day scheduled for cleaning our desks. And people actually compliantly cleaned their desks.

There's good and there's bad. And then there's also a lot of beige. I find it pretty narcotic, lulling us into corporate calm. The culture shock comes from the contrast from the advertising agency where I used to work. The floors and conference rooms were color-coded. On the Red floor you could be having a meeting in Red Rum. Orange Floor? Then your meeting will be in either Great Pumpkin or Orange Crush. By comparison, the pale wash of beige that covers the ceilings, walls, floors and furniture of my new corporation is just numbing. I made a little photo essay to emphasize my point. Even the bathroom tile is beige.

Is this part of some corporate policy? More beige, less rage?
I think I need a house call from these "Cube Fabulous" guys. If they are even for real.

Comments

Popular Posts