Double-Boiler Deserving


In an impulse towards healthful eating, I was looking to steam some vegetables for dinner last night. This task required pulling the inherited double-boiler pan out of the cupboard. The banged up, seen-better-days, double boiler. Upon closer inspection: the chipped, wouldn't-use-it-in-front -of-company, stuck together double boiler. After much tugging and grabbing I couldn't get the steamer portion unstuck from the base, which was inconveniently stacked above the steamer. (So even if I were desperate enough to fill the bottom without removing the top, I couldn't do it, since Bottom was stuck on Top.) I realized that this was a pot in such shabby condition that if I were to de-accession it from my kitchen collection, I would not even give it to the Salvation Army. Even those who don't have a proverbial pot to you-know-what-in, might think twice about this sad little guy.
What makes this old double-boiler both curious and endearing is that it also reflects a little bit of my father's ingenuity, driven by frugality. If you look closely at the photo you'll see that in place of the traditional pot lid handle there is a little furniture knob. Just the kind you'll find at Home Depot, appropriate for a bedroom dresser or folding closet doors. And I grew up with the pot always being this way. It's functional, yes. But really, could we not afford a pot with a normal handle, without a screwed-in, "found" object?
So with the delight of an official adult, I think I will now invest in a shiny new double boiler. It's tempting to keep the lid as a souvenir of Dad's inspired fix-it attitude, and my mother's tolerance, and likely bemusement, of it. (Or at least I'll print out this post and place it in a keepsake box...with the lid, if it'll fit.) But the stuck-together-bottom will definitely have to go.
Farewell, double boiler. Archeologists may find you in an excavation years and years from now and wonder if our race died out because we couldn't stack our pots together in the correct order and thus starved, since we could steam no vegetables.

Comments

Popular Posts