Between Blue and Purple


This is strange to me. I call these flowers purple, so why are they called 'blue irises'?
This is a small point of historical contention because in seventh grade I argued the point with a girl that I know didn't like me much anyway. She was haughty and probably considered herself better than me for no real particular reason.
I must have said something about the purple coat she was pulling out of her locker and she shook her head, "No, this is blue." I stood my ground on the blue platform, but a small place in my nervous adolescent heart wondered if she had reason to feel superior to me: did I not know blue from purple?

Comments

Ellyn said…
I definitely think the irises are purple!! I have debated the blue-purple question with Joe many times... and almost always I see something as purple that he thinks is blue... weird...
Anonymous said…
Interesting...maybe this is a family gene - Hugh and I disagree about the proposed color for our bedroom - which I say is dark blue, and he insists is grey. His conviction is so strong that when I say something like, "oh yeah like the blue in our bedroom" - he pretends not to understand what I'm talking about.."blue? what blue? there's no blue in the bedroom". The official name of the paint is "stormy" - Probably not a good color for the bedroom anyway.
-J
Claire said…
That is v. funny. Jason and I just chuckled together over your story. We *never* pretend not to understand each other.


Yeah right. ("That was the last ice cream sandwich? Seriously? I had no idea.")

Popular Posts