I Don't Want to Hear About It
The annoying corollary to having foot surgery (as if the treatment itself won't be bad enough) is that whenever I tell anyone about it they quickly roll into their own surgery story. I hope that it's prompted by an empathetic impulse - although sometimes I wonder if we're not all just so self-centered and find it more interesting to talk about ourselves than listen to anyone else. (See definition: Blog).I give credit to a coworker who, with his story of dropping a 45 lb weight on his toe at the gym, was at least in close proximity to my own target area. But I really didn't want to hear about how the surgeon had considered amputation.
The other guy who had foot surgery recently detailed how they "skewered" his foot shut, and then even brought in one of the pins to show me! (I found this horrifying.)
Others have offered stories that broadly range away from toes, to shoulders, arms and backs. With gross details like having ports to drain fluid.
With greatest sympathy, I can only think: ICK.
I don't want to hear about it! I don't even want to consider the details of my surgery!
I always try to proactively tell the story about how I almost fainted when the doctor told me what he'd do to me, hoping that others will get the hint that, with a vivid imagination, I don't do well with surgery stories.
But it doesn't stop them.
Thank you so much readers, for being kind and considerate in the comments, and not volunteering your war stories.
And the surgery isn't until July 18th. (I scheduled it because I signed up for another 5k on July 10, and didn't want to miss out on that. Which reminds me, I should go to the gym now.)

Comments