Nothing Glamorous About This


I have to have foot surgery. I was feeling ok about this until I talked to a coworker who recently had foot surgery himself, and his comments included that his doctor had said he was lucky he wasn't having the kind of surgery I am about to have, because it was worse. As it was, I started to feel faint when the doctor explained the procedure to me. "Can you stop?" I desperately asked in the middle of his pointing out wall diagrams of the foot, "I feel faint." After he reclined me into the exam chair and I was nearly horizontal with the comforting rush of blood back to my head, I was temporarily better.

I'm really struggling to portray my malady with any dash of romance or adventure. When I told another coworker he asked, "Oh, sports injury?" "No," I replied, and inhaled cautiously before blurting it out, "bunion."

Would you find it romantic and very old-world if I told you that it's colloquially called "a tailor's bunion"? In centuries past, tailors sat crossed-legged on the floor and therefore had constant pressure on the outside of their foot. My podiatrist kind of pooh-poohed this expression. I wanted to tell him that people probably still say that because it's the only embellishment that can make the word 'bunion' bearable.

Going to the podiatrist's office, after my self-diagnosis from Dr. Google, my greatest fear was that the doctor would tell me that it was my fancy shoes*. And that I should never ever, ever, wear high heels again. I'd be doomed to flats for the rest of my life. (And in this scenario - which I did get a little carried away with imagining - I sighed to myself and thought, 'thank goodness I've already had my wedding in shoes of my choosing.')

I was quickly reassured -- delighted -- when I sat in the waiting room and looked around to see the artwork on the walls. Artistic sketches of various high heel shoes. It got even better when I discerned that the doctor himself is gay. (Raising the possibility that on weekends he might even indulge in wearing heels himself.) At the very least a man wearing a pink shirt could not deny a girl her own fashion choices.

I go for surgery the middle of next month. I expect that I'll spend a weekend on the couch with limited mobility. I am preparing Tivo to entertain me by setting up a wishlist for Katherine Hepburn films. She seems like she might have the right amount of spunk to foster my recovery.

A first question for the doctor will be, "when can I wear real shoes again?" And by real shoes, I do mean heels. For two weeks immediately after I will be stuck with a boot on my foot. Maybe I can bedazzle it or give myself a punchy pedicure to entertain the questioning eyes that will inevitably drift down my leg to wonder what I did to my foot:
Skiing injury in the Alps with the Royals?
Lion bite from safari with Angelina and Brad?
Dancing misstep from my moonlighting as a back-up dancer for Justin Timberlake?

*Bunions are often hereditary, and after remembering my mom's feet, I think this is my case. Although I might also remember Mom saying something about wearing shoes that "weren't good for her."

Comments

abby said…
Time to start shopping for Danskos! But seriously, I hope that everything goes well.
Andra Sue said…
That surgery just sounds plain awful! Hope all goes well and it ultimately alleviates any pain you might be having. So much for cute flip flops for the end of your summer, eh?

Popular Posts