Beach, Bistro, and Baubles Weekend
The weekend so far has been:
Relaxing in the shady grass near the beach with a friend on Saturday. I suppressed my giggles when a representative from the local Green party approached us and offered my most Repbulican friend a flyer and an invitation to speak to our local candidate. I grinned as my friend read through the primary tenets of the candidate, laughing and mockingly incredulous. 
Dinner with Jason at a local Thai bistro. Very delicious, although a little spicy. We had delicious fried sweet potato lettuce wraps with mint and fish oil.
Note the telltale glow of the iPhone on Jason's chest during dinner. Although it does illuminate his cute new shirt, my pet peeve is texting during the meal. His pet peeve: my wish to stay and linger over dinner by ordering jasmine tea. (Fair and balanced blogging here.)
Today I enjoyed the Chicago Antique Market with two friends. I suspect this is exactly the kind of place that Nancy (my mother-in-law) wanted to visit when she came to see us after we'd just moved to Chicago. Being new-in-town, we didn't know the marketplace existed and instead the three of us ended up taking a really long drive to find ourselves at a Mexican mall that was billed as a flea market. It was full of hoochie-mama clothes, knock-off athletic shoes, and stereo equipment. And it was ironically exactly the kind of mall that was just two blocks from our apartment. We will have to schedule her next visit during the weekends for this fair; it was much better.
We contemplated fur stoles from years past, hanging with closets full of vintage clothing. That's a little mink that lost his life for fashion.
We might have all rode away on classic, shiny Schwinns too.
I was tempted by antique glicee prints and loads of costume jewelry. I walked away with a floral bracelet, sold to me by a woman who said that I clearly had the self-confidence for good jewelry. This was a bit of an odd compliment, but I took it, along with the bracelet.
It will feel like wearing a corsage everyday.
Dinner with Jason at a local Thai bistro. Very delicious, although a little spicy. We had delicious fried sweet potato lettuce wraps with mint and fish oil.
Today I enjoyed the Chicago Antique Market with two friends. I suspect this is exactly the kind of place that Nancy (my mother-in-law) wanted to visit when she came to see us after we'd just moved to Chicago. Being new-in-town, we didn't know the marketplace existed and instead the three of us ended up taking a really long drive to find ourselves at a Mexican mall that was billed as a flea market. It was full of hoochie-mama clothes, knock-off athletic shoes, and stereo equipment. And it was ironically exactly the kind of mall that was just two blocks from our apartment. We will have to schedule her next visit during the weekends for this fair; it was much better.


Comments