Little Bit o' Bacon


We had crazy, crazy weather yesterday. In the morning I experienced the surreal feeling that I was going back in time because as my train drew closer and closer to work on its hour journey, the sky became darker and darker. The sun was supposed to be rising, not setting.

The day came and went pretty uneventfully but by night our programming was being interrupted by tornado warnings. (I learned that you cannot pause or fast forward Tivo through these things.) There was a good hour of hard pounding, torrential downpours. With a ton of crazy lightening.

Fortunately no tornado sirens rung while Jason and I were wondering aloud whether it's better or worse to live so close to the lake when there's a tornado. Is it drawn to open water?

It dawned on me that if we had to beat it downstairs to our neighbor's garden apartment (closest thing to a basement) we only have one cat carrier, but now two cats. I can imagine the older, tenured cat calling dibs, "You've only known her a week, c'mon. She's a stray from the streets! You'll find another one. But me, me you'd miss."

This must be why last night I had a weird dream about trying to put our kitten in a carrier. My sister, making a guest appearance, insisted that you had to fill the carrier up with about three inches of water first. I worried that the kitten would drown, so instead I put her in a little envelope. The next time I looked in the envelope, she'd turned into a piece of bacon. I was very worried that I'd killed her, but somehow thought that if I added water to the dried piece of meat, it'd turn back into Piper.

Very weird, but perhaps a sign that I should invest in a second cat carrier, just in case.
Here are a couple photos to prove that our kitten didn't turn into bacon after all.

Comments

Popular Posts