Gifts I'm Not Giving

I'm glad not to be pulled into the full throttle insanity of gift-giving to each and every friend, friend's friend, acquaintance, co-worker and relative at Christmastime. But I feel a tinge of regret when I see a gift that would be sooo perfect for that person. And for me, the sign of a really good gift is that it's one I have second thoughts about wrapping and really just want to keep for myself!

Here are gifts I was tempted by, maybe it's not too late to get them for yourself. Or you can see what you were spared of through misdirected generosity.

For Juliet, whose old Victorian home is a little cold in the winter, these goofy, flamboyant, but cozy, slippers. They have pom poms! I think I'd need to find a big, classic book to accompany this gift, so J can cozy with slippers, book, dog and cat, husband, and book, all together.

For the little learners who have arrived on the scene in the past year or two (Clara), Alphabet Prints from Strawberry Luna. (The whole 'shebang' of all 26 letters is pricey, but your favorite letter will be only $15.) And I'd want to toss in one of these little fellas. I like the one that's winking. From feltmates on Etsy. (Who I also saw this past weekend at the DIY Trunkshow.)

For Abby, I might lend a pop of color to her knitting projects. I think Abby likes red more than anyone else I know, so for her, this flower brooch. (It's even from Portland! You could pick it up in person!)
From Piper Ewan on etsy.

Since Leah lives in Boston, and strikes me as the kind of chick that would still wear a miniskirt even in the depths of New England winters: legwarmers. Probably the only one of my friends who is hip enough to pull off the legwarmer look, too (although she might have been all over this 2 years ago.) (I have somewhat seriously considered these for days I want to wear a skirt in the winter and just need to make it on the walk to the train station.)

For Andra, I'd get a plane ticket and a weekend at the Hotel Commonwealth, so she and I can both fly to Boston and get some great jeans from Leah. This is the joy of fake giving, it doesn't matter if you spend $400 on one person, and $14 on the other.For my local girlfriends, either the Domino decorating book or the Lucky Shopping book.


For female co-workers: Keyboard Wrist Rests Combination filled with Buckwheat Flaxseed and Rice, and scented with Lavender. Just $11.95!

And here are a few things I'd just toss off the back of my sleigh, sprinkling them down into the chimneys of all good girls. (As if you haven't guessed it yet, I'm much better about shopping for girls instead of boys.)
Bliss Blood Orange & White Pepper goodies


Lavender sachets made from vintage linens

Sugar Daddy's Brownies Pocket Change (the little bits left over after they cut out their signature circular brownies.)
Pretty Sofia Coppola Champagne, in little hot pink cans

And a copy of the song that accompanied the winning runway show by Leanne from Project Runway this season: Cookie Breathe. (I really just need to buy this for myself, because I've already listened to it like 4 times at home.)

Just remember everyone, it's the thought that counts. And I put a lot of thought into the gifts I'm not getting you this year.

Comments

abby said…
You'll be happy to know that the sweater's worth of yarn I just bought was camel, not red. Though I was tempted.
Andra Sue said…
Ah, Claire...you have such excellent taste! My non-gift is much appreciated. ;)
That Girl! said…
You picked out lovely non-presents. You've got some classy taste lady ;)

I do own leg warmers but not of the hot pink variety. Sadly, the most action my warmers see these days is if I'm lounging around the house and have no clean sweat pants to speak of. Nothing says "I'm not leaving the house" like boxer shorts paired with leg warmers. Perhaps the message conveys crazy too...

PS. I'm still hopeful that one day you and Andra will come and visit me and Boston! B/c I actually do have a very belated present I need to give to you one day :)
Anonymous said…
Wow. Two comments: First, I actually received a pair of very similar booties last year from Ursula. I loved them so much, and wore them every day. I loved them too much and they are in sad shape today, just last week I asked Ursula that if she pulled my name for Pollyanna this year, she'd get me another pair.

Second, the day before thanksgiving, my friend Leah from work (who incidentaly just moved here from Boston) was asking me where she could buy leg warmers. She needs to keep her ankles toasty for her arthritis, but doesn't like her feet to get too hot. So if your friend Leah in Boston doesn't want the leg warmers, my friend Leah from Boston does. Weird.

Popular Posts