What If I Told You...

Remember those 1980's Folgers coffee commercials where restaurant patrons secretly had their fresh-brewed coffee switched with Folger's crystals? And they were astonished that they didn't know the difference?
That was the feeling I've had not once, but twice, lately as I've flipped through a magazine's pages and seen a beautiful piece of jewelry. It's not something I could afford, I figure. But I look at the maker's name anyway, just for kicks (and for that day I win the lotto.) It's hsn.com - Home Shopping Network! I can afford this jewel! Who'd have thought this wasn't fresh-brewed coffee?! (This is the same remarkable feeling that comes over you when you see something you might actually need in the SkyMall catalog.)

All the careful work of their PR person to raise HSN in my esteem, and possibly even put its website in my Bookmarks folder, has fallen flat though, since I go to the website and the products are even there.
Like going to the coffee pot to find it empty.

Although this necklace did have me tarrying on hsn.com for longer than I intended:Janice Dickinson Asymmetrical NecklaceBut I'm going to have to check back later to see if the Loulou de la Falaise earrings I spied in Domino are ever coming back.

Comments

Andra Sue said…
I'd feel the same way. I imagine I simply couldn't force myself to order something, no matter how stylish, just b/c it was offered on HSN. I have a similar aversion to JC Penney...perhaps due to childhood trauma??? ;)

As an aside--I think I even saw that horrible Dr. 90210 guy hawking "shapewear" on HSN or some other shopping channel while flipping the other day. *shudder*

Popular Posts