Gifts We Did Give (Because World Peace is Hard to Wrap)

Since it's now safely past the Christmas holiday, I thought I might share some of the highlights from gifts we did give this year.

Just like shopping for my own sister, thinking of what to give Jason's sister, Courtney is most fun. (Getting gifts from her is terrific too.) For the newly married lady, I found these trinket dishes from Jenny Blasen Pottery on Etsy. This was something I never realized I needed until after I began wearing an engagement ring and wedding band every day. Continuing our theme, Courtney and Lorenzo also received the Nest Newlywed Handbook Since Jason and I are only a year into it ourselves, I think the best advice we might give is that one year is too soon to be giving advice of your own.
I also picked up these cute earrings at a craft fair, and we threw in a XBox game, Fallout 3, for Lorenzo. Jason's been crazy obsessed with this game set in a post-apocalyptic Washington D.C. and I don't mind it because the soundtrack is dreamy, sad, jazz vocals which float into the living room from his office... the reverie is just interrupted by spurts of machine gun fire from time to time.
For when she's able to wrench Lorenzo away from the video games, there's also the 2009 Zagat Guide for San Diego Restaurants. I like this as a holiday gift, since they are available by the end of the year and it's something that people probably haven't picked up for themselves yet. It also fits into most stockings handily.

For Jason's Aunt Cherie & Uncle Charlie, the guests most keenly intrigued by the more unusual types of beer in our fridge while visiting this summer: Microbrew of the Month Club. The gift promises "twelve premium microbrews from award-winning, independent breweries across the country" each month. I'm told the first round was aptly delivered on Christmas Eve. Cheers!

For Jason's parents, gift certificates for good dinners out in Columbus. It doesn't come close to rivaling the unique adventures Jason's mom sends us on but we try our best. And there were iTunes gift cards for the younger cousins who only remind us that we're not so young anymore when we can't think of anything else to get them. (A conversation over what to give that begins with, "What are the kids into these days?" inevitably should end with a gift card.)

Finally, I picked up a few 'seasonal soaps' in pretty boxes for hostess gifts and quick retaliation for gifts I wasn't expecting. ("Why yes, OF COURSE I got you something too! Let me just run and get it!") The box itself is so pretty that gift wrapping isn't even necessary. And when paired with a small mix CD I made, it's a nice little (inexpensive) gift.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and got everything they were hoping for, and maybe more!

Comments

Popular Posts