Plans I Made vs. Plans I Had

After my car's Friday night tantrum I spent today revising the idea of what my weekend was going to be. I realized early in the morning that the plans I'd made were no longer the plans I had.

Generous angel friend Allison allowed me to borrow her car this morning to run to the paint store so that I could get some supplies and the weekend would not be totally lost. Ironically I started up her car and discovered that her check engine light is also illuminated. But the difference is that her entire car does not vibrate when the MPH goes above 25.

After finding a local repair shop the old-fashioned way (Yellow pages, I knew there was a reason I didn't throw you away!) I chugged the car over there. Just three miles. I rationalized that even if I made it halfway a 1.5 mile tow might be cheaper than a 3 mile tow.

As I pulled in the owner greeted me with "Check engine light?" He must have known it was me that called urgently at 7:15 am. He gave a quick whistle to the mechanics in the back, "Hey, we gotta a lady in here. Watch your language!"

With a couple hours to wait I asked for a recommendation of a nearby coffee shop, and was directed to a mod little breakfast place. Over my Key Lime & Blueberry French Toast I reflected that this was an enjoyable surprise in the day. I sat at the counter surrounded by attentive staff. The cook walked out and leaned against the wall to inquire, "How was your meal, Miss? Key lime?" My head nodded quickly, "Yummy!" He gave a smile and a wink and returned to the kitchen. The staff was the winkiest I've ever seen. "More coffee?" Smile. Wink. "Syrup?" Smile. Wink.

I passed the balance of waiting for the car sitting on a park bench, watching what appeared to be a lesbian football team practice. Maybe they weren't lesbians, I guess a bunch of women playing football just seems a little butch. But I caught up with friend Ellyn on the phone, so this was another unexpected break from what might have been a hustle-bustle day.

The rest of the day had some surprises that tested me:

My hair appointment was canceled. My hairdresser is so booked, I had made this appointment in July. It'll be November by the time I see her again!

The previous homeowners had like twelve different shades of gray in their home. While trying to fix the big space they'd left unpainted, I realized that I'd picked the wrong gray. Shoot. And halfway through the wall already. It's decided, this will become the dark gray accent wall in the living room.

We took a taxi to the hardware store down the street later in the afternoon (car is at the shop waiting for a part), only to find it had closed 30 minutes earlier.

After waiting for a bus for fifteen minutes we decided to walk it. Three buses then quickly passed us by.

Our walk was rewarded though, with the excitement of 6 police cars roaring to the same intersection. We have no idea what happened but there were 3 people with their hands down on the hoods of cruisers and two paddy wagons showed up. I was worried, hoping nothing had happened to our favorite local noodle/sushi shop since all this action went down right in front of its doors.

(The police station and the hardware store have two of the best signs in our neighborhood by the way, maybe even in the city.)

To pep up our step we stopped at the Mexican candy store, Dulcelandia. A pinata paradise. It's always been intriguing and since nothing else was working out for us, why not buy some candy? (They also have a fun sign.)The evening came to a most interesting end while we were walking home from parking Allison's car. Strolling by a condo with big picture windows: a buck-naked yuppie getting ice from his fridge. I clapped my hand over my mouth as my eyes popped. Jason chuckled.

What an end to the day. Can't wait to wake up tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts